December 13, 2014

0 comments
A couple of months ago Emily and I were in the U.S. for a short visit and briefly met with a church mission team in Birmingham, Alabama. Of course, Placido was not with me and I was struggling to remain positive and clutching to my faith. The morning after our meeting and right before we left Birmingham, a woman dropped in to see us at the home where we were staying. I had not formally met her before the previous night and she had no reason to be especially kind to me. However, she said she had felt urged by God to give me something precious to her and so to bless me. She had removed from her own arm a beloved and beautiful heavy silver and gold bracelet she loved and she put it on my arm. I didn't deserve it. She just gave it to me. It was just exactly my taste in jewelry, though I had never owned such a lovely piece. For the duration of my trip I wore it all the time, feeling very elegant and pulled together.

After returning to Bolivia, I showed it to my dumbfounded husband and enjoyed wearing it to teach one of my Bible studies with very wealthy women. It felt appropriate and not ostentatious. Then, just this past week, during my devotions, and after reading Jen Hatmaker's book "7", I felt God clearly asking me for the bracelet. I hesitated. Would I offend my sister who had lovingly given it to me? Wasn't it mine to keep since it had come to me in the way it had? I received an unmistakable answer: "I'm glad you have enjoyed it, but I have not called to a lifestyle of wearing a bracelet like that. Give it back to me. I will honor the thought behind the gift." Immediately a friend came to mind and I realized I was to send this bracelet to him and ask him to auction it off for missions. It has become clear that the proceeds should be the seed money for the much needed indigenous training center.

I wish I could tell you I am the sort of person who, long-time missionary that I am, is so dedicated to God that she doesn't enjoy pretty clothes and jewelry. I'm not. I love stylish clothing and handbags and yes, even jewelry. I have been pressed by God into giving that up, for the most part. When I am stylish it is usually thanks to my dear sister-in-law who, unfettered by the same constraints, passes on to me the stuff she leaves behind (and gives me new stuff, too, when she says I look too scruffy). So, I need to tell you it hurt just a bit to let go of the bracelet. I wore it one last day and cried over it and then quickly wrote my friend before I changed my mind.

I'm not saying I'm giving all of my heirloom jewelry away, but this one piece was sacred. I would like to ask anyone who reads this to consider looking at your jewelry and asking God if He wants any of it. In Exodus 32 God asked for offerings of jewelry from the Israelites for the building of His temple. These offerings were voluntary - not in any way connected with their salvation. This, also, has nothing to do with our salvation or even the depth of our relationship with God. It's just a casual question to God, "Hey. I have all this stuff. Do you want any of it?" If He is silent, you're off the hook. If He says, "Actually, yes!", then I would challenge you to donate it for the benefit of missions. Donate to any organization you want (although I have a couple of really good suggestions :).



0 comments:

 

Following the Great Physician Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template